JOHNSTON COMMUNITY EDUCATION Find the full guidelines at bit.ly/jce-covid.
Johnston Community Education (JCE) has established guidelines based on guidance from the Iowa Department of Education and the
Return to Learn plan approved by the Johnston Community School District (JCSD). ese guidelines represent the health and safety
measures we are taking to create a culture of safety and to prevent the entry and spread of communicable disease.
Whenever groups of people gather together, in school or in the community, there is risk of spreading communicable disease.
While Johnston Community School District is utilizing a hybrid learning model where students are on-site learning 50% of the time or
online learning 100% of the time, ALL students are welcome to attend and participate in community programming oered by
Johnston Community Education. Students that are learning online/virtually on a particular day are welcome to attend community
programming oered at JCSD facilities after the on-site school day ends.
• Anyone who is sick should stay home.
• Prior to arriving at the program site, sta and participants should perform daily selfscreening at home. (See page 3)
• Access to all JCSD facilities will be limited as much as possible. In general, parents will NOT have access to enter facilities.
• Handwashing during JCE programs will be increased in frequency and reinforced according to CDC recommendations.
• e use of face coverings is required for all sta and participants.
• While we cannot guarantee that social distancing recommendations can be met in all activities at all times, a plan is in place with
each program to implement current social distancing guidelines.
• Educational signs are posted in all facilities and spaces where JCE programs take place.
• A plan is in place to increase the frequency of cleaning and disinfection for high-trac and high-touch spaces and surfaces.
• If any participant or sta is asked to self-isolate due to potential COVID-19 exposure, all parents/guardians/participants involved in
that program will be notied via email by JCE on the same day we are made aware of the potential exposure.
• Every eort will be made to maintain condentiality and privacy in received reports of illness.
• Polk County Health Department will be contacted in the event a positive COVID-19 case is reported. Program rosters may be shared
with local health ocials for contact tracing purposes.
• e following situations will result in participants or sta being asked to self-isolate for 14 days: A positive test for COVID-19; you
have had direct/close contact (within 6 feet for 15 minutes) with anyone who has tested positive for COVID-19; you live with
someone who has symptoms of, or has tested positive for COVID-19; any international travel.
• Closure/cancellation decisions will made on a case-by-case basis in consultation with Johnston Community School District and the
Polk County Health Department.
• Partial refunds for reasons related to COVID-19 will be made whenever possible.