D I S T R I C T I N F O
NEED-TO-KNOW SCHOOL BOARD ELECTION INFO
School board elections move to November in 2019, to align with local city elections. IASB is ready to
help members navigate these changes. Whether you’re a current board member seeking reelection,
or a board secretary/administrator communicating with candidates, we’re here for you. We will
be rolling out a robust toolkit to assist with candidate recruitment and education, voter education
resources and board development programming for current and newly elected board members.
Key School Board Election Dates for 2019
• Aug. 26: First day to file nomination papers with board secretary
• Sept. 19: Last day to file nomination papers
• Sept. 20: Board secretary delivers nominations to controlling commissioner
• Sept. 24: Last day candidates may withdraw; last day to file objections
• Nov. 5: Election day
• Nov. 12 or 13: Election canvass for school districts located within one county
• Nov. 18 or 19: Election canvass for school districts spanning more than one county
• Organizational meeting: First regular or special meeting following canvass of votes
View the IASB Special Report and accompanying date change supplement released in 2018 for
more information at www.ia-sb.org/specialreports.
Get on Board: Candidate and Election Resources
Our elections toolkit (www.ia-sb.org/getonboard) will launch in
late June/early July with many great resources to educate and
inform candidates. Incumbent board members will also benefit
from these resources.