SVITZER acquired Denmark’s fi rst diving equipment in 1842. This equipment quickly became important salvage gear. In 1907 SVITZER diver Peter Hansen Hessing took out a patent on the Two Bolt Helmet. Photo of the SVITZER diver J. Danielsen taken in 1895 when divers examined and repaired INTERNATIONAL OF NEWCASTLE. J. Danielsen is ready for a dive on board the salvage vessel HERTHA, built by SVITZER in 1877. The closed diving suit was invented by the English engineer Augustus Siebe in 1837 and consisted of a watertight canvas suit, a detachable helmet weighing up to 20 kilos and heavy lead boots that enabled the diver to walk on the seabed or the wreck. The diving helmet was connected to an airhose through which the crew on board a vessel could pump air to the diver. The divers used gas lamps underwater when inspecting and working on the wrecks.
To see the actual publication please follow the link above